Skip to main content

What I Wish I'd Know About Hospital Bags



IN SHORT:
When my water broke at 2:30 AM at 37 weeks 6 days, I knew that my hospital bag was packed, and my husband's was not. Because I was having a C-Section during COVID-19 restrictions, there would be no leaving the room for either of us once we got in, so we needed to be sure we had EVERYTHING. I carefully researching, asking friends and reading blog after blog and felt I had my bag perfectly prepped. By night 2 in the hospital, I had made a flurry of Amazon purchases and wished I had so many things in my bag that were missing. I hope I can help you avoid that! I've got suggestions about stuff for you and baby and don't forget your car seat manual! 

What Was Missing
I assumed the hospital would provide a few things that they didn't or that their options would be better than they were.

Swaddle: What I wouldn't have given for a zip or velcro swaddle. The nurses deftly wrapped baby up like a burrito, he happily drifted off to sleep, and a few minutes later he would burst out of it. Sleeplessly, my husband I desperately tried to get him back in, but it was never as good, and, regardless, he always broke out. I would highly recommend bringing some kind of easy swaddle, even if you think you want to go blanket, just in case. We have tried a lot of different swaddles. I'll post links and thoughts below but just know every baby has preferences so what worked for me or your bestie may not be your favorite. Keep trying, you'll find a good one. One note: I initially stayed away from velcro because reviews said it woke their baby up. I certainly didn't want that! Until, many weeks in, I realized the ONLY reason I am changing the baby's diaper is because he is awake. If he's asleep and the diaper is dirty, it isn't bothering him! If you're changing it at night, it's probably because he work up to eat anyway. So, if you want the velcro, get the velcro; your baby will be awake anyway.
  • Current Favorite: Sleepea by Snoo -- easy, comfortable, and has breathable mesh
  • Initial Favorite: Swaddleup by Love to Dream-- stretchy, lets baby have arms up in natural position
  • Lots of Options: Halo Sleep Sack -- lets you swaddle arms up or arms down so if you're not sure what your baby prefers this gives you options
  • Worked best for my bestie: Ollie--initially expensive, the Ollie has the advantage of growing with your baby both width and length wise so might end up saving you on having to buy size-up swaddles
Skin to Skin Gown: Skin to skin contact is great for you and your baby. Having a gown that allows you to easily place your baby on your chest while staying dressed is great because hospital personnel will be coming into your room *constantly*. I *thought* the one I brought had that but it only opened for breastfeeding and was stitched along the neckline. This one gives you best of all worlds.

Pacifier: So many people said that they (and their babies) loved the pacifier given at the hospital. My hospital is certified "baby friendly" which is actually code for "relentlessly pushes breastfeeding" and means they will not give you a pacifier. One kind night-shift nurse asked if we brought one from home, I said no because I thought the hospital gave them and she said she might be able to find one--bless her! Bring one. Make sure it is newborn size and has a long, not beveled nipple shape. My baby liked the classic Philips Avent Soothie . You will not ruin breastfeeding by offering your distressed newborn a pacifier for a few minutes. 

Something for Baby's Nails: Your baby will be born with little talons. They don't look sharp, but they are. Do you know what hungry babies do? They flail their arms and scratch at their faces. How could tiny newborn nails draw blood, right? But they do... they do. I thought, after witnessing my son almost immediately damage his perfect new skin, that the hospital would trim his nails for me. They did not. I thought when I got home at least I could pull out those nail clippers I bought-- on the first try I accidentally cut the tip of his finger. We both cried and I thought I'd just wait for them to get long enough to bite. Let me offer you better alternatives: Bring some newborn mittens , or clothes with mitten cuffs, and/or an electric nail file  with the newborn size file (I LOVE mine!), or a regular baby nail file. OR the traditional clippers, but those are scary! Also, trim baby's nails when they are sleeping, but that's hard if they are sleeping in a swaddle!

A Robe: Well technically I had a robe and thought I had packed it, but apparently I left it out and I missed it! There are those beautiful ones with matching swaddles for pictures. I have been really happy with this one from Soma . It is long enough for my 5' 10" body, feels like Modal, and best of all HAS POCKETS. It is been great for middle of the night sessions when I am so cold and don't want to get out of bed (sometimes I wrap baby in it with me while soothing him back to sleep) and I just wish I had had it with me as intended at the hospital.

Car Seat Manual: I don't know why, but I assumed adjusting the car seat straps would be easy and intuitive. It was not for our Graco seat. To be fair, my baby came early and I thought I'd have more time to get it set up, but still, dumb move on my part. Bring your car seat manual, just in case, so you don't have a "how do we safely take our baby home" meltdown in the parking lot like some people I know ;) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Wish I'd Known About C-Sections

TL/DR: For me, the pain was super manageable and recovery was pretty easy. I was much more mobile than I thought so the things I was worried about for early days of baby care were non issues. I do suggest getting what help you can, avoiding squishy surfaces (as well as stairs and driving), and getting some comfy, non-incision bothering clothing-- see links for planned or emergency Amazon purchases :) Let me start with everyone's experience is different and valid. My experience with a C-section was pretty great. It was a last resort due to medical allergy, but was planned. If it is something you're thinking about (and know that you have the right to request a C-section if you want one-- if traditional labor isn't for you, you can go this route) or must do, it's not as scary as some make it out to be. For me, what was scary, and what I couldn't find information about, was how to care for my baby after  the C-section. How much pain would I be in? How would I be able to