Skip to main content

What I Wish I'd Known About C-Sections



TL/DR: For me, the pain was super manageable and recovery was pretty easy. I was much more mobile than I thought so the things I was worried about for early days of baby care were non issues. I do suggest getting what help you can, avoiding squishy surfaces (as well as stairs and driving), and getting some comfy, non-incision bothering clothing-- see links for planned or emergency Amazon purchases :)

Let me start with everyone's experience is different and valid. My experience with a C-section was pretty great. It was a last resort due to medical allergy, but was planned. If it is something you're thinking about (and know that you have the right to request a C-section if you want one-- if traditional labor isn't for you, you can go this route) or must do, it's not as scary as some make it out to be. For me, what was scary, and what I couldn't find information about, was how to care for my baby after the C-section. How much pain would I be in? How would I be able to do middle of the night diaper changes? If you have those same questions and concerns, I'm here to help!

Your Pain and Recovery
The standard pain management protocol from the hospital is acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and some narcotic if requested. I balked at the idea of being given only Tylenol and Advil after abdominal surgery, but the research shows that it helps women heal faster and you know what? It worked! I was given about a day's worth of narcotic when I left the hospital and I didn't even need all of it. I certainly did need the OTC stuff, but most days that was enough. They also suggest walking, so you will be able to get up, move around, carry the baby, etc. I actually felt so good once I got home (in terms of my incision pain) that I'm pretty sure I overdid it every day. 

I was VERY worried about getting out of bed for diaper changes. I bought an expensive, easy to clean changing pad, dragged a big piece of furniture into my bedroom, and zip-tied the mat down to make a bed-level changing table. It was COMPLETELY unnecessary. I changed my baby in the bed the first night, as a friend said I could, and after that I felt fine getting up and walking to his changing table. If you want best of both worlds you could buy a portable changing mat to throw on top of your blanket and use in the future for outings. Amazon has tons, I think this one is nice and from a trustworthy brand. A dedicated changing towel would work too :) 

What you can't do is lift anything heavier than the baby, drive, or go up and down stairs until your postpartum check up. If stairs are a part of your daily household life, you'll want to plan on that in advance or talk to your doctor.

Watch out for: squishy surfaces, like a really soft couch or thick foam mattress topper. Those can be painful when changing positions. I'd suggest sticking to firmer surfaces for the first couple of weeks.

Things You'll Want to Make Life Easier/Less Painful
Meds: My doctor sent me home with a prescription for acetaminophen, ibuprofen, about a day's worth of oxycodone, and dulcolax. I didn't need to finish any of the bottles. However, having some extra Tylenol, Advil, and stool softener (I also took some Miralax and Gas-X) in your medicine cabinet might be a good idea. 

Clothing: You'll want things that don't push on your incision so high-waisted bottoms and loose tops are your friends. I was really nervous about buying clothes in advance since I wouldn't know until after if they hurt or not so I'll share links for what I bought here. These pants were great-- they stayed up while being loose and are long enough (I'm 5' 10") and super soft, these panties didn't bother my incision at all, and these nursing tops come in lots of great options. All three of these seemed pretty true to size, although I erred on the larger end just in case. 

My doctor said if I wanted to wear a postpartum wrap that would be ok-- I purchased this one that had great reviews but I didn't put it on until over a month postpartum. It probably would have been fine sooner and when I did wear it I loved the support it offered, but I can't speak to how comfortable it is or isn't immediately after C-section. 

Undergarments: Again, these panties were great a couple of weeks after, but at first you'll probably want disposable undies/adult diapers. I've gotta say, the internet HATED on hospital mesh panties so I bought some disposable underwear (Always and Depends have options that don't feel like diapers) but they hurt my incision until sometime closer to the second week. I LOVED the hospital mesh panties-- they were comfy, soft, fit well, and hey-- free! I saw a lot of expensive "better than mesh" designer panties while researching this, some had pockets for ice and heat packs. I do not think they would have been worth the cost AT ALL and am really glad I went for cheap amazon undies and disposables. If you like the ones at your hospital-- stock up while you're there! 

Do I Need a Halo Bassinet?
Halo markets the lowering side wall as a huge benefit for moms recovering from C-Sections. I bought one because I wanted it for other properties. I also bought it used off of facebook because I did not like the price. While I am pleased with it overall (although I think you MUST get a newborn insert; I read lots of reviews and the consensus was that the mysnuggly brand one was better that Halo's actual insert and it was a life-saver for us!), I don't think it made a huge difference for C-Section recovery. I would say get whatever bassinet you want, put it close to your bed, and you'll be fine. 

A Note About Breastfeeding
If you read other posts of mine, you'll know breastfeeding did not work out for us. But I gave it my all in the first couple of weeks. It hurt a lot to try to get into and hold baby in the right position. My hospital's lactation consultants only told me about cross-cradle and football. Both required so many pillows and uncomfortable positioning for me. I'd suggest laid-back or a simple cradle-- they are the only ones that didn't hurt where we had real successful sessions. Bra-makers Kindred Bravely have some good info about these common positions. 


Comments